Over 35% Of All Americans Over 65 Have Hearing Loss
Hearing loss is the third most common health condition in the United States. About 48 million Americans have some form of hearing loss. While one in three Americans over 65 has some hearing loss and the average age of first-time hearing aid wearers is 70, this condition is not exclusive to seniors.
Younger generations are exhibiting growing numbers of hearing loss cases thanks to earbuds and headphones. Nearly 15% of children ages six to 19 have hearing loss in at least one ear, and 5 out of every 1,000 newborns are born with this condition.
Advantages of Wearing Hearing Aids
Wearing hearing aids improves:
- Quality of life: You will enjoy interpersonal interactions more, be able to hear the television better...without having to make it uncomfortably loud and be able to enjoy the movies and theater.
- Social interaction: You won’t have to struggle to hear a conversation, nor will you feel embarrassed about asking others to repeat themselves. Regular social interaction also helps prevent isolation, depression, and anxiety.
- Tinnitus: The ringing or buzzing in your ears can often be treated with hearing aids. Some hearing aids offer sound masking programs to block the effects of tinnitus while stimulating your brain’s auditory cortex.
- Cognitive decline: The extra effort required to comprehend sounds takes energy away from other areas of the brain. Underutilized brain cells can shrink or die, resulting in memory loss, dementia, or Alzheimer’s.
Hearing Aid Technology
Hearing aids are now devices that serve multiple functions and have become more attractive. In-the-ear or in-the-canal hearing aids are almost unnoticeable compared to behind-the-ear models.
Wireless hearing technology like cordless headphones has also become commonplace, and they may improve the perception of hearing aids as cutting-edge technology.
Today’s hearing devices offer improvements like:
- Directional microphones
- Background noise filters
- Smaller, more discreet styles
- Bluetooth connectivity to smartphones, tablets, televisions, and navigation systems
- Music streaming
- Fitness tracking
- Call monitoring